More and more users are aware of the exposure of their privacy on WhatsApp. You appear online to a group of contacts by simply opening a message, and this can give people the false impression that you are available for a chat every time you use the app. But a little trick that can help you is to turn off your online status in WhatsApp.
If you are looking for ways to hide your online status on WhatsApp, you have come to the right place. This article will give you everything you need to know about this trick, whether you are accessing WhatsApp on PC, iPhone or Android user.
How to hide your online status in WhatsApp on an iPhone
WhatsApp’s “Last Seen” status allows users to see what time other people were online on the app and if they are currently using the platform. As convenient as it may be for some users, for others it is a major privacy concern. Disabling your online status is the logical first step in protecting your privacy.
However, note that after disabling your “Last visited” status, you will also not be able to view the online status of your contacts.
If you are an iPhone user and want to hide your online status on the app, follow the steps below.
- Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Press the “Settings” button in the bottom menu.
- Go to the “Account” section.
- Press the “Privacy” button in the list of options.
- A new list of options will appear where you can change who can see your personal information. Tap “Last Seen” to change your online status settings.
- Hide your “Last Seen” status by pressing “Person”. You can select “My Contacts” if you want only your contacts to see your status or “Everyone” so that everyone can see your “Last visited” status.
How to hide your online status in WhatsApp on an Android device
People often want to hide their online status to keep some privacy for themselves. If you prefer to text on WhatsApp incognito, you can do it on your Android device. Just follow the steps below.
- Launch WhatsApp on your Android device.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select “Settings” and navigate to the “Account” section.
- Go to “Confidentiality”.
- Tap “Last Seen” and select “Nobody” if you want to completely hide your online status. Tap “My Contacts” if you only want your contacts to see your online status.
How to hide your online status in WhatsApp from PC
If you are using WhatsApp on your PC, you are probably on the web version of WhatsApp. This version does not allow changing the online status via the settings page as with the smartphone.
Instead, you need to install plugins for your browser. Assuming you are using Chrome, there are two plugins you can use. Just follow the steps below.
- Go to the Google Chrome Web Store and search for the “WAIncognito” extension.
- Install the extension to use WhatsApp without appearing online.
- Tap the extension to change the settings. You can check the box next to the “Do not send latest viewed updates” option to hide your online status.
You can also install a plugin called WA Web Plus. Simply add the plugin to your Chrome, go to the WhatsApp web as usual, and follow the steps below:
- With the WhatsApp Web open, tap on the WA Web Plus plugin.
- Check the box next to “Hide online” to hide your online status from your contacts.
- If the changes don’t apply immediately, simply reload the WhatsApp web app.
Can I chat while appearing offline in WhatsApp?
Yes! There are two handy tips you can use to read and reply to messages on WhatsApp while staying offline. The first is the most direct and consists of replying to a message through the notification panel:
· For iPhone users, just swipe the message from your notifications panel to the left, select the view option, and reply.
· For Android, tap the message in your notifications panel, select the “Reply” button and send the message.
· If you accidentally deleted the preview message, you can scroll down from the top of your screen to see unread notifications, hold the chat in question and hit the “Reply” button.
The second method of replying to a message while appearing offline involves airplane mode. You turn on airplane mode and it lets you read a message without appearing online. This way your last saved online time on WhatsApp is the one before you turned on Airplane mode. This is a pretty cool feature, except that it prevents you from receiving new messages while it is enabled.
Here are the detailed steps on how to perform this “trick”:
1. Put your device in Airplane mode.
2. Launch WhatsApp and open the chat you want to send a new message to.
3. Enter the message and press the “Send” button.
4. Turn off airplane mode. The recipient will receive your message without you appearing online.
Now you know two methods that help you chat without appearing online. Feel free to use the quick reply option when you know the person will keep texting you more if they think you’re online. If there is a single text that you need a response to but want to avoid being seen online, you can always turn on Airplane mode.
Can I see others while my status is hidden in WhatsApp?
In WhatsApp settings, you can change your online status to make it visible to everyone, only your contacts or no one. If you set the status to “Nobody”, no one will be able to see your “Last visited” status, but you also will not be able to see other people’s online status.
If you choose the “My contacts” setting, you will be able to see when your contacts are online, and they will also be able to see when you are.
Can I hide my status for specific contacts in WhatsApp?
You can hide your status updates for certain contacts by following the steps below:
For iPhone users:
1. Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone and go to the “Settings” page.
2. Go to “Account”, then “Privacy”.
3. Go to the “Status” section and press “My contacts except…”
4. Check the circle box next to the contact (s) for which you want to hide your status updates.
5. Tap “Done” when finished.
For Android users:
1. Launch WhatsApp on your phone and navigate to the three-dot menu at the top right of the screen.
2. Tap “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
3. Go to “Account”.
4. Navigate to “Confidentiality”, then “Status”.
5. Select the “My contacts except…” option.
6. Tap the circle area next to the contacts for which you want to hide your status updates.
7. Tap the green circle at the bottom right to confirm.
Please note, these steps will only hide your status updates from specific contacts. They will not hide your “Last Seen” status.
You can hide your “Last visited” status for “Everyone”, “My contacts” or “No one”. There is currently no feature that allows you to hide the online status of specific contacts only.
If you want to prevent a specific contact from seeing your online status, you will need to block them in your account. After that, the person will not be able to see your “Last visited” status, or other personal information such as your profile picture, stories, or anything else associated with your account.
Here’s how to block a contact:
1. Launch WhatsApp on your phone.
2. Tap the chat with a person you want to block.
3. Tap that person’s name at the top of the screen and select “Block”.
4. Select “Block” from the prompt to finish.
WhatsApp chat disappeared incognito
Hiding your online status has many benefits. You won’t feel as compelled to reply to a message as soon as you read it. Meanwhile, scrolling through the app late at night when you just want to relax doesn’t make you easy prey for constant messages from your contacts, and your overall privacy levels are higher. This article has shared everything there is to know when it comes to hiding your online status on WhatsApp. Hope you can use some of the things you learned.
What are the main reasons why you want to hide your online status on WhatsApp? Share your opinion in the comments below.